Matthew P. French
Matthew P. French is an attorney at Wisner Baum’s Los Angeles office, where he focuses his practice on the firm’s commercial transportation accident cases. Led by a strong desire to help people when they need it most, Matthew’s clients appreciate his empathetic approach to how he handles his cases.
Before coming to Wisner Baum, Matthew was an associate attorney at a Los Angeles area law firm where he focused on personal injury cases and handled all aspects of civil litigation.
KGO ABC7 News interviewed Wisner Baum wildfire attorney Matthew French about the Fire Victim Trust. Matt explained his Camp Fire clients’ frustration with the Trust. Watch it here.
A graduate of Southwestern Law School’s SCALE 2-year accelerated JD program, Matthew externed for a Federal District Court magistrate judge and an assistant city attorney. As a Judicial Extern in California's Central District of the United States District Court, Matthew performed legal research, drafted orders, attended settlement and discovery conferences and hearings, and observed multiple civil and criminal trials.
During Matthew's externship with an assistant city attorney, he drafted a city business tax ordinance, related resolution, and staff report; motions, notices of rulings, discovery requests, and various pre-trial memos; and assisted with hearing preparations and strategy, including closing arguments.
In addition to the vital experience gained in his externships, Matthew served as a Senior Advocate in Southwestern Law School’s Trial Advocacy Honors Program, winning first place in their annual competition.
Matthew graduated summa cum laude from California State University, Los Angeles, with a bachelor’s degree in Anthropology. He later earned a master’s degree in Education while working for eight years as a public school teacher and leader for the Los Angeles Unified School District.
When Matthew is not advocating for his clients, he enjoys traveling (having visited 23 countries so far), scuba diving, and cooking.
- Southwestern Law School, Los Angeles (J.D., Civil Litigation and Advocacy concentration, and Public Service Distinction, 2019)
- University of Phoenix (M.A., in Education, Secondary Education, 2011)
- California State University, Los Angeles (B.A., in Anthropology, summa cum laude, and Honors in Anthropology, 2009)
- Co-President, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (2009)
- Senior Advocate, Trial Advocacy Honors Program
- Vice President SCALE, Student Bar Association, Southwestern Law School
- Public Service Distinction Award
- First Place, Trial Advocacy Honors Program’s JEBS Competition
- Honorable Mention, Moot Court Intramural Competition
- Treasurer of Southwestern's OUTLaw Group
- Student Liaison for the LGBT Bar of Los Angeles
- Regional Vice-Chair for the National LGBT Bar's Student Congress
- Student Member of Southwestern Law School's Diversity Committee and Curriculum Committee
- California, 2019
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2019
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, 2022
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California, 2022
Awards and Honors
- California Powerhouse, Law360 Regional Powerhouse Series, 2021
- Selected: Southern California Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars, 2023
- State Bar of California
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Consumer Attorneys of California, President’s Club Benefactor
- The American Association for Justice; Leaders Forum - Champion; LGBT Caucus; Trucking Litigation Group
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Board member and Co-Vice President of Southwestern Law School’s Nickel Club
- LGBTQ+ Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- American Inns of Court
- Executive Board Member for The Southwestern Law School Inn of Court, 2022
- Co-Chair the Awards Committee for The Southwestern Law School Inn of Court, 2022
Call (855) 948-5098 to Learn About Your Legal Options
Wisner Baum Wildfire Lawyers Support and Call to Action for Bill on Tax ReliefCalifornia Wildfire, Matthew French, Press Releases
Baum Hedlund Begins 2023 with a New Name: Wisner BaumAdam M. Foster, Ari S. Friedman, Bijan Esfandiari, Cara J. Luther, Clay Robbins III, Frances M. Phares, Helen E. Tokar, John A. Greaves, Mark H. Schlein, Matthew French, Michael L. Baum, Monique Alarcon, Pedram Esfandiary, Press Releases, R. Brent Wisner, Stephanie Sherman, Timothy A. Loranger, William Crawford Appleby
Truck Parked on Shoulder Results in $3.5 Million Truck Accident SettlementMatthew French, Press Releases, Truck News
CA Wildfire Attorneys Call for More Transparency for Fire Victim Trust ClaimantsCalifornia Wildfire, Matthew French, Press Releases, Ronald L. M. Goldman
McKinney Fire Siskiyou County, CaliforniaAri S. Friedman, California Wildfire, Matthew French, Michael L. Baum, Ronald L. M. Goldman
Coastal Fire LawyerAri S. Friedman, California Wildfire, Matthew French, Michael L. Baum, Ronald L. M. Goldman