The U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R.3684, or the INVEST in America Act, on July 1, making a point to include critical truck safety provisions for American roads and highways.
The INVEST in America Act includes the following trucking safety measures:
- Makes automatic emergency braking (AEB) a requirement for commercial vehicles over 26,000 pounds, such as Class 7 and 8 trucks;
- Updates the rear underride guard standard to align with that of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and subjecting trucks to annual inspections;
- Establishes a Committee on Underride Protection;
- Increases the minimum insurance requirement for commercial vehicles from 750,000 to $2 million and allows the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to adjust this minimum for inflation every five years; and
- Directs the Department of Transportation (DOT) to establish criteria for screening commercial truck drivers for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
The INVEST in America Act is a major step forward for truck safety. While the bill’s future remains uncertain as it heads to the Senate, as safety advocates committed to reducing the number of truck crashes each year, our law firm is encouraged by this legislation and the improvements that it will make, if enacted.
Our National Law Firm Puts Truck Safety First
At Baum Hedlund Aristei & Goldman, we believe that a single truck accident is one too many. Our truck accident attorneys have been steadfast in our advocacy not only for our clients, but also for the safety of the motoring public.
If you have been injured in a truck accident in California or anywhere in the U.S., we have the experience and resources necessary to hold any parties to account for their negligence. We have achieved numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for our truck crash clients and our lead truck accident lawyer Diane Marger Moore is one of a select few attorneys in the country to receive board certification in Civil Trial, Civil PreTrial Practice, and Truck Accident Law.
When negligent truck drivers, companies, and manufacturers cause others harm, our team stands ready to hold them accountable.
Contact Baum Hedlund Aristei & Goldman online today to get your complimentary consultation with a skilled national attorney.