Reasons to Choose Us:
- You Won't Pay Unless We Win
- Over $4 Billion Won For Our Clients
Ontario Personal Injury Lawyer
We Advocate for Injured Victims in San Bernardino County and Across California
The personal injury lawyers at Wisner Baum have decades of experience obtaining justice and maximum compensation for clients in Ontario and across the state of California. Our award-winning team has the experience and skill to take on any corporate opponent and win. Across all areas of practice, our injury lawyers have earned more than $4 billion in verdicts and settlements across a broad range of practice areas. While our firm has the resources and staff of a nationwide law firm, our clients agree that our local presence in Ontario offers the personal touch of a local neighborhood law firm.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
When you need a team that gets real results, look no further than the injury attorneys at Wisner Baum. Our Ontario office handles numerous personal injury claims, including:
- Auto accidents
- Aviation accidents
- Bicycle collisions
- Boating accidents
- Bus accidents
- Exposure to toxic chemicals (toxic torts)
- Military accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
- Pedestrian accidents
- Police brutality and misconduct
- Prescription medications
- Structural failure
- Train accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Wildfire injuries
If a person or entity’s negligence caused an accident that led to serious injuries, please don’t hesitate to call our firm.
Call our Ontario office at (855) 948-5098 for a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer.
What Is a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
A personal injury lawsuit is a type of civil dispute stemming from an accident in which one person sustained harm and another person or entity (business, corporation, or government agency) may be legally responsible. An attorney prepares and files a personal injury lawsuit on behalf of the victim (the plaintiff) in pursuit of compensation for the victim’s injuries otherwise known as damages. The lawsuit alleges that a defendant’s carelessness or negligence caused harm to the plaintiff (the injured victim).
The plaintiff carries the burden of proving that the defendant was negligent. Since these lawsuits are handled in the civil justice system (not the criminal justice system), the plaintiff will only need to show that the defendant was more likely than not negligent. They will not have to prove their case “beyond a reasonable doubt.”
Most personal injury lawsuits result in a settlement out of court. Settlements are negotiated between the plaintiff’s attorney and the defendant’s insurance company and legal counsel.
Winning Your Personal Injury Case
There are a few key points you will need to prove to win a personal injury claim.
The first is that someone else owed you a duty. This means different things in different cases. For example, a product manufacturer has a duty to ensure any product they put to market is safe for consumers or warn of any potential side effects, etc. AS another example, a trucking company has a duty to ensure its truck drivers are qualified and properly trained to drive large commercial vehicles safely.
Second, the lawyer must prove that the defendant breached the duty of care. Again, this will look different for every case. A few examples include distracted driving, cutting corners during the manufacturing process, failing to warn of the potential for toxic exposure, etc. Whatever the negligence is, your personal injury attorney will need to prove it was committed.
Your lawyer will also need to prove that the negligence caused your injury, hence your claims for damages. If your attorney is successful, the injured victim will be compensated for damages according to proof.
To prove negligence, there are 4 parts: duty, breach, causation, and damages.
- Duty: Does the defendant owe the plaintiff a duty of care? In auto cases, including trucking, the defendant owes a duty of care to operate their vehicle as a reasonable driver/trucker would. That also includes maintaining, inspecting, etc., the vehicle. Trucking companies owe a duty to ensure that employees are properly trained, have a clean driving history, do have dangerous medical conditions, etc.
- Breach: Did the defendant breach the duty of care. In other words, did the defendant fail to operate, inspect, maintain, the vehicle in a reasonable manner. If their actions fell below the standard of care (reasonableness, usually), then there is a breach.
- Causation: Are the injuries that the plaintiff suffered the result of the negligent conduct. This is usually pretty clear, but sometimes there are times when another person’s negligence will intervene.
- Damages: Did the plaintiff suffer legally recognized damages, which include economic damages, such as lost wages and medical expenses, and physical injuries and pain and suffering (Economic and non-economic damages.)
While investigating an accident, collecting evidence, and proving negligence may seem like a daunting task, Wisner Baum injury attorneys in Ontario will make the process as easy as possible for you and your family. Our firm has handled thousands of cases in almost 50 years of practice. When you hire our team, you can rest assured knowing that our firm has a long-established track record of success in a broad range of injury cases. Our firm knows what it takes to win.
Compensation Available to Personal Injury Victims
A personal injury lawsuit may result in compensation for economic (financial) and non-economic (emotional and mental) damages.
Economic damages include:
- Hospital stays
- Doctor’s visits
- Prescription medication
- Assistive devices
- In-home accommodations
- Caregiver compensation
- Physical, occupational, and other therapies
- Lost wages
- Lost benefits
- Loss of earning capacity
- Reduced future earning potential
Non-economic damages, on the other hand, are those that do not come with a bill. Some examples include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disability, scarring, and disfigurement
If the person or entity’s actions were with reckless disregard for your safety or the safety of others, or was malicious, you may be awarded punitive damages which are higher than the initial award and meant to punish the defendant. The amount of total compensation for a personal injury lawsuit can potentially be in the millions.
Should I Hire a Personal Injury Attorney Near Me?
At Wisner Baum, we are known for providing top-tier support and counsel to clients who have suffered serious injuries:
- We level the playing field: As an accident victim, the deck can feel stacked against you when figuring out how to pay for medical bills, your mortgage, and other expenses. If fact, the driver of the other car or truck will not be representing themselves. Instead, their insurance provider will be fighting to limit their financial exposure. Hiring a local personal injury lawyer with a nationwide presence will level the playing field and give your case a chance at the best possible outcome. With our local office in Ontario, we are a trial-ready, solutions-oriented law firm dedicated to fully vindicating your legal rights.
- We are highly knowledgeable about these cases: We know the ins and outs of personal injury law, from how insurance companies and large corporations defend these cases to both general and complex case law.
- We have a track record of success: We have a proven track record in recovering hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars, for our clients through personal injury lawsuits. Whether it be through a settlement or verdict, we’ll fight to maximize your compensation.
- We dig deep to find answers: Personal injury victims need and deserve to know exactly what happened to them. Our attorneys always work tirelessly to uncover the truth. In fact, we are known for finding “smoking gun” internal documents and exposing corporate malfeasance.
If you have been injured, you need an attorney you can trust to go the extra mile and fight for maximum compensation on your behalf. Wisner Baum’s Ontario personal injury attorney team prepares every case as if it is going to trial to give our clients the best possible chance at a successful outcome. But don’t take our word for it; see what past clients have to say about us.
Contact our Ontario personal injury lawyers online . You can also reach us at (855) 948-5098!
Toxic Torts $2.0 Billion Verdict
In May of 2019, the jury in the case of Pilliod et al. v, Monsanto Company ordered the agrochemical giant to pay $2.055 billion in damages to the plaintiffs, Alva and Alberta Pilliod, a Bay Area couple in their 70s.
Pharmaceutical Settlement $105 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained $105 million on behalf of multiple clients involved in a pharmaceutical negligence case.
Whistleblower Settlement $18 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum secured an $18 million settlement against the Boeing Company for overcharging the U.S. government on aircraft maintenance.
A Major US Plane Crash $17.5 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained a $17.5 million settlement on behalf of a client who was killed in a major U.S. plane crash.
Commercial Truck Accident $15 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum secured a $15 million settlement for a person gravely injured by a major truck company.
Commercial Truck Accident $8.5 Million Verdict
Wisner Baum secured a $8.5 million wrongful death verdict against the food industry company, Tyson Foods, for the wrongful death of a young man.
A ranking in The U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” is widely regarded by both client and legal professionals as a significant honor. It is considered the most reliable, unbiased source of legal referrals anywhere.
Wisner Baum is proud to be a sponsor of The Truck Safety Coalition, a a group of caring individuals dedicated to reducing the number of deaths and injuries caused by truck-related crashes. Our support enables them to help families and save lives.
Law360 recognizes law firms that have a strong regional presence, working on important matters within their home state. “[Wisner Baum] possesses a David v. Goliath-sized slingshot while seeking justice for everyday citizens it believes were harmed or killed through corporate wrongdoing.”
NLJ and American Lawyer Media honor law firms and attorneys as Elite Trial Lawyers for their cutting-edge legal work on behalf of plaintiffs in practice areas ranging from mass torts to securities litigation.
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. A listing in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, conferred on a lawyer by his or her peers.
Less than one-half of one percent of firms across the nation have achieved this ranking. A firm must have a high percentage of lawyers who have achieved the prestigious AV® Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell®.
The National Law Journal inducted Wisner Baum into the Verdicts Hall of Fame for obtaining the $2 billion landmark verdict in the Roundup cancer case of Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto. The verdict was #1 in California and #2 in the U.S. in 2019 and is #9 in American history.
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 recognized the law firms of Wisner Baum, the Miller Firm and Audet & Partners with the 2019 Trial Team of the Year award (in the Mass Torts category) for their work in the groundbreaking case of Dewayne “Lee” Johnson v. Monsanto Company.
An AV® rating reflects an attorney who has reached the heights of professional excellence. The rating signifies the highest legal ability, and very high adherence to professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability, and diligence.
Wisner Baum is proud to have all of its lawyers listed in Avvo, a legal directory connecting people in need of legal services with lawyers and connecting lawyers to lawyers. Eight of our attorneys have earned a 10.0 perfect rating with Avvo.
CA and USA
TopVerdict.com ranks our $2 billion verdict in Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto as the biggest verdict in California and the second largest verdict in the U.S. in 2019. It is the ninth largest verdict in U.S. history.
Published annually, the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers list recognizes the “best of the best” in this area of the law through nominations, research, and review by a board of their peers.
In 2020, Law360 honored the law firms ”behind the litigation wins and major deals that resonated throughout the legal industry.” It recognized our success in several landmark cases.
In 2018, our $289 million Johnson v. Monsanto verdict was the largest personal injury verdict in California. TopVerdict.com also ranked it #2 among all verdicts in California and #10 in the nation.
The Bar Register is the definitive guide to the most distinguished law firms in America. It includes only those select law practices that have earned the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and have been designated by their colleagues as preeminent in their field.
Firm ReviewsWhat Our Clients Are Saying
I Can’t Imagine a Better Law Firm- Best Law Firms Survey
They Are About Changing the Systems...- Kim Witczak
Top Legal Minds in the Country- From Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms
Diligent & Professional Representation- W.T.
Our Best Interest Was Always Number One on Your List- G.C. & C.C