Effexor Birth Defects
We are no longer accepting new Effexor cases
Effexor, also known as generic venlafaxine HCI, is an antidepressant that is also sold in an extended-release form as Effexor XR. It is an SNRI or serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, which means that it inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine as well as serotonin. Wyeth, now owned by Pfizer, is the manufacturer of Effexor.
The FDA has placed Effexor in the Pregnancy Category C class of drugs which says that animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risk. The Pregnancy Categories measure the teratogenic effects a drug has on a fetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other). Teratogenic means that a drug or other substance is capable of interfering with the development of a fetus. Embryocidal pertains to the killing of an embryo.
The FDA also lists the following non-teratongenic effects:
- Neonates [newborns] exposed to Effexor XR, other SNRIs (Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors), or SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors), late in the third trimester have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tube feeding. Such complications can arise immediately upon delivery. Reported clinical findings have included respiratory distress, cyanosis, apnea, seizures, temperature instability, feeding difficulty, vomiting, hypoglycemia, hypotonia, hypertonia, hyperreflexia, tremor, jitteriness, irritability, and constant crying. (…)
- Nursing Mothers
Venlafaxine [Effexor] and ODV have been reported to be excreted in human milk. Because of the potential for serious adverse reactions in nursing infants from Effexor XR, a decision should be made whether to discontinue nursing or to discontinue the drug, taking into account the importance of the drug to the mother.
Pharmaceutical: Effexor, Effexor XR
Generic Name: venlafaxine (or venlafaxine hydrochloride, venlafaxine HCL)
Drug Class: Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) antidepressant
CAS Number: 99300-78-4
Zoloft is used to treat the following disorders:
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD)
- Panic Disorder (PD)
- The use of MAOIs intended to treat psychiatric disorders with Effexor XR or within 7 days of stopping treatment with Effexor XR is contraindicated because of an increased risk of serotonin syndrome.
- The use of Effexor XR within 14 days of stopping an MAOI intended to treat psychiatric disorders is also contraindicated.
- Starting Effexor XR in a patient who is being treated with MAOIs such as linezolid or intravenous methylene blue is also contraindicated because of an increased risk of serotonin syndrome.
- Hypersensitivity to venlafaxine hydrochloride or to any excipients in the formulation.
- sexual dysfunction
- dry mouth
- changes in appetite or weight
- abnormal vision
- feeling weak
Serious Adverse Outcome:
The development of a potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome has been reported with SNRIs and SSRIs, including Effexor and Effexor XR, alone but particularly with concomitant use of other serotonergic drugs (including triptans, tricyclic antidepressants, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, tryptophan, buspirone, and St. John’s Wort) and with drugs that impair metabolism of serotonin (in particular, MAOIs, both those intended to treat psychiatric disorders and also others, such as linezolid and intravenous methylene blue.
Effexor carries the following Black Box warning on its label:
Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs – Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders….Effexor XR is not approved for use in pediatric patients.
- Association between reported venlafaxine use in early pregnancy and birth defects,national birth defects prevention study, 1997-2007
Statistically significant associations were found between the use of Effexor and anencephaly, atrial septal defects, coarctation of the aorta, cleft palate, and gastroschisis.
- Depression and serotonin reuptake inhibitor treatment as risk factors for preterm birth(Effexor was one of the drugs included in the SRI category.)
Category C, which means there is no controlled data in human pregnancy studies but animal studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus.
Multiple lawyers recommended Wisner Baum to me and I have been consistently impressed with the quality of their work.- Best Law Firms Survey
Wisner Baum are not only amazing attorneys but more importantly, they are activists. They are about changing the systems which got us into trouble in the first place. They understand their role in the process of making change.- Kim Witczak
The Wisner Baum firm has some of the top legal minds in the country; they are driven, determined, trustworthy, ethical and passionate.- From Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms
Thanks to your efforts I was able to recover from a tragic experience and turn my life around for the best.- W.T.
A special thank you to your Spanish-speaking staff for the extra effort put into this case. The language barrier was never a problem, and we are so very thankful to them. Your name holds much respect in our family.- G.C. & C.C
It is obvious that the people at Wisner Baum believe in what they do. And that you all really care about your clients.- The B. Family
I appreciate that you care about how I feel and that you take time to use your talents to ensure your every contact with me is warmly professional.- A.D.B.
I wanted a fair settlement within an appropriate time frame, and without any public scrutiny. With your hard work and dedication, we were able to achieve those goals.- T.O.