Cara J. Luther
Cara J. Luther is of counsel to Wisner Baum, focusing on the firm’s mass disaster cases and commercial transportation accident cases. She worked for 31 years as a full-time attorney at the firm until 2022.
She concentrates her practice on catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases stemming from aviation accidents (including airline, helicopter and small planes), bus crashes, rail disasters, commercial truck crashes and defective pharmaceutical products.
Helping her clients through very difficult times in their lives, winning their trust and helping them understand the legal process, is the most rewarding aspect of her work. Cara remains passionate about her clients and has dedicated herself to championing their rights. In a testimonial to the firm, one of our clients praised Cara’s commitment when he wrote:
On behalf of our entire family, we would like to express our deepest gratitude for all that your firm did for us during a very difficult process… We are extremely grateful to Cara Luther who literally held our hand through the legal process and not only kept us updated, but helped us to understand throughout the entire evolution. She was very responsive to all questions and provided support to each of us that will never be forgotten. She took the time to listen and provided not only her legal expertise but her compassion for what we were all going through. She knew how difficult losing Patricia was for all of us and she did not force us to relive any details of her death unless absolutely necessary. Thank you just doesn’t seem enough. But we thank her from the bottom of our hearts for her never ending professional and emotional support.
J.A. and family
Cara came to Baum Hedlund (now Wisner Baum) with skills in the medical and insurance fields which have proven critical to her cases.
While earning her biology undergraduate degree, Cara focused her studies on medical technology. She went to work in the field of medical research, where she became familiar with medical documents, records and terminology. Cara has found this experience to be invaluable in personal injury and wrongful death cases where reading and understanding medical records plays an indispensable role.
After working in the medical field, Cara continued into insurance, working as a sales person, then as a claims adjuster. This experience also proved very beneficial in her role at Wisner Baum, since it gave her distinct insight into the perspective of the defense. Cara credits her insurance background with giving her the ability to communicate effectively with counsel for the defense and their insurance adjusters during these complex and difficult cases.
Cara also remains very involved in her community. Based out of our Washington D.C. office, Cara is an active member of numerous church committees in the D.C. area, giving pro bono legal advice and assisting underprivileged groups in finding education, employment and success. She maintains that her community service keeps her in touch with people and their needs, an experience that enhances her work at Wisner Baum.
- University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland, (J.D., 1986)
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, North Carolina, (B.A., Biology, 1968)
- Pennsylvania, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1989
- The District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1989
- Maryland, 1991
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2014
Awards and Honors
- California Powerhouse, Law360 Regional Powerhouse Series, 2021
- Lexis-Nexis® | Martindale-Hubbell® Client Distinction Award
- National Air Disaster Foundation Safety Award, 2002
- The District of Columbia Bar (Member, Litigation Section)
- The Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Maryland Bar
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar
- Registered Medical Technologist and Registered Specialist, Hematology American Society of Clinical Pathologists, 1979-1983
- Licensed Insurance Agent, Health Annuities, Maryland, 1986-1989
- Licensed, National Association of Securities Dealers, 1987-1989
Pro Bono and Civic Activities
- Presbyterian Women, providing local, national, international humanitarian assistance, Member 2008-present
- Ron Brown Scholarship Fund, Friend, 2000-present
- Safe Haven, Prince George’s County Church Consortium Winter Housing for Homeless Men, Supporter, 1990-present
- Administrative Commission (Business Advisory Committee) of National Capital Presbytery, Member, 2008-2012
- Self-Development of People, National Capital Presbytery, Committee Member, 1991-1994
Call (855) 948-5098 to Learn About Your Legal Options
Baum Hedlund Begins 2023 with a New Name: Wisner BaumAdam M. Foster, Ari S. Friedman, Bijan Esfandiari, Cara J. Luther, Clay Robbins III, Frances M. Phares, Helen E. Tokar, John A. Greaves, Mark H. Schlein, Matthew French, Michael L. Baum, Monique Alarcon, Pedram Esfandiary, Press Releases, R. Brent Wisner, Stephanie Sherman, Timothy A. Loranger, William Crawford Appleby
Baum Hedlund Earns Law360 California Regional Powerhouse AwardAdam M. Foster, Bijan Esfandiari, Cara J. Luther, Class Action News, Clay Robbins III, Consumer Lawsuits, Frances M. Phares, J. Clark Aristei, John A. Greaves, Mark H. Schlein, Michael L. Baum, Monique Alarcon, Monsanto Roundup News, Our Successes, Pedram Esfandiary, Personal Injury, Press Releases, R. Brent Wisner, Ronald L. M. Goldman, Timothy A. Loranger, William Crawford Appleby
Delaware Truck Accident Lawsuit Alleges Negligence, Wrongful DeathCara J. Luther, Press Releases, Truck News
Widow Sues Four Companies for Husband’s Death in Pennsylvania Truck Crash LawsuitCara J. Luther, Press Releases, Truck News
FAA Sued for Negligent Air Traffic Control for 2008 Helicopter CrashAviation News, Cara J. Luther
Ohio Residents File Lawsuit Against Wisconsin Truck Company After Pennsylvania Truck CrashCara J. Luther, Press Releases, Truck News