United Airlines Crashes
Los Angeles Attorneys Representing United Airlines Passengers
On July 19, 1989, United Airlines Flight 232 encountered engine failure that caused all three of the plane’s hydraulic control systems to fail. An emergency landing was attempted at the airport in Sioux City, Iowa. Lack of functioning controls of the DC-10 resulted in a crash landing, igniting the plane upon initial impact. Of the 296 people aboard, 111 died in the crash as a result of smoke inhalation and/or fatal impact injuries.
Wisner Baum represented 11 passengers in personal injury and wrongful death litigation involving Flight 232. As experienced aviation accident attorneys based out of Los Angeles, our team can represent you and your family if you suffer serious losses in a United Airlines crash.
Contact us at (855) 948-5098 today for a free same-day consultation with a qualified attorney.
A Snapshot of United Airlines
United Air Lines, Inc., (also known as United Airlines) is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, and operates major hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Washington, DC, and Chicago. The airline’s beginnings can be traced to Varney Airlines air mail service in the 1920s. The airline was purchased by Boeing Air Transport in 1927, later changing its name to United Aircraft and Transport Corp. (UATC). United Airlines was formed in 1931 to manage the subsidiaries of UATC.
In 2010, United Airlines acquired Continental Airlines. All previous Continental flights now operate under the United Airlines name.
A member of the Star Alliance network, United Airlines offers flight destinations across North America, Central America, South America, Asia, Europe, and Africa. The airline has U.S. alliances with United Express, Great Lakes Aviation, Gulfstream International Airlines, Island Air and Mokulele Airlines. International affiliates include Grupo TACA, Tam Airlines, Virgin Blue and Bulgaria Air. Regional flights are marketed as United Express under a code-share agreement with United Airlines. United Express is operated by Chautauqua Airlines, Colgan Air, GoJet Airlines, Mesa Airlines, Shuttle America, Skywest Airlines and Trans States Airlines.
United Airlines and United Express operate approximately 3,300 daily flights and serve more than 300 domestic and international destinations. United employs over 80,000 employees in the U.S. and worldwide.
United Airlines Accident and Incident History
The following is a summary of the major accidents and incidents of United Airlines, including those involving United Express:
- United Airlines Flight 1028, Dive over Nevada, January 21, 2008
- United Airlines Flight 93, near Shanksville, PA, September 11, 2001
- United Airlines Flight 175, into World Trade Center, NY, September 11, 2001
- United Airlines Flight 81, inflight mishap, LaGuardia to Los Angeles, 1998
- United Express Flight 5925, Quincy, IL, November 19, 1996
- United Airlines Flight 852, inflight turbulence, Japan to San Francisco, 1992
- United Airlines Flight 585, Colorado Springs, CO, March 3, 1991
- United Express Flight 2415, Pasco, WA, December 26, 1989
- United Airlines Flight 232, Sioux City, IA, July 19, 1989
- United Airlines Flight 811, Pacific Ocean, February 24, 1989
- United Airlines Flight 173, Portland, OR, December 28, 1978
- United Airlines Flight 553, Chicago, IL, December 8, 1972
- United Airlines Flight 266, Los Angeles, CA, January 18, 1969
- United Airlines Flight 227, Salt Lake City, UT, November 11, 1965
- United Airlines Flight 389, Chicago, IL, August 16, 1965
- United Airlines Flight 823, Parrottsville, TN, July 9, 1964
- United Airlines Flight 297, Elliot, MD, November 23, 1962
- United Airlines Flight 859, Denver, CO, July 11, 1961
- United Airlines Flight 826, Brooklyn, NY, December 16, 1960
- United Airlines Flight 736, Sloan, NV, April 21, 1958
- United Airlines Flight 718, Grand Canyon, AZ, June 30, 1956
- United Airlines Flight 629, Longmont, CO, November 1, 1955
- United Airlines, Flight 409, Centennial, WY, October 6, 1955
- United Airlines, Flight 16, Denver, CO, December 4, 1951
- United Airlines, Flight 615, Decoto, CA, August 24, 1951
- United Airlines, Flight 610, Ft. Collins, CO, June 30, 1951
- United Airlines, Flight 129, Fort Wayne, IN, April 28, 1951
United Airlines Accidents and Incidents Handled by Wisner Baum:
Wisner Baumhas handled some of the largest and worst air tragedies in history, including the following accidents involving United Airlines:
- United Airlines Flight 1028, Dive over Nevada, January 21, 2008 (1 passenger represented)
- United Airlines Flight 93, near Shanksville, PA, September 11, 2001 (12 passengers represented)
- United Airlines Flight 175, into World Trade Center, NY, September 11, 2001 (13 passengers represented)
- United Airlines Flight 81, inflight mishap, LaGuardia to Los Angeles, 1998 (1 passenger represented)
- United Express Flight 5925, Quincy, IL, November 19, 1996 (1 passenger represented)
- United Airlines Flight 852, inflight turbulence, Japan to San Francisco, 1992 (2 passengers represented)
- United Airlines Flight 585, Colorado Springs, CO, March 3, 1991 (2 passengers represented)
- United Airlines Flight 232, Sioux City, IA, July 19, 1989 (11 passengers represented)
Aviation accidents are incredibly complex, so when you need to seek compensation for your losses, it’s important to receive the assistance of a lawyer who has experience in this area. At Wisner Baum, our attorneys have won over $4 billion for injury victims nationwide and half a billion just for high-profile plane accident cases. From the minute you hire our team, we will relentlessly pursue a fair outcome for you and your family.
Call (855) 948-5098 or contact us online to file an accident or injury claim involving United Airlines. Our attorneys handle both domestic and international cases.
A Major US Plane Crash $17.5 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained a $17.5 million settlement on behalf of a client who was killed in a major U.S. plane crash.
A Major US Plane Crash $14 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained a $14 million settlement for the death of a passenger in a major US plane crash.
Helicopter Crash $12 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum secured a $12 million settlement for a passenger who was injured in a helicopter crash.
A Major Foreign Plane Crash $10 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained a $10 million settlement for the death of a passenger in a major foreign plane crash.
A ranking in The U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” is widely regarded by both client and legal professionals as a significant honor. It is considered the most reliable, unbiased source of legal referrals anywhere.
Wisner Baum is proud to be a sponsor of The Truck Safety Coalition, a a group of caring individuals dedicated to reducing the number of deaths and injuries caused by truck-related crashes. Our support enables them to help families and save lives.
Law360 recognizes law firms that have a strong regional presence, working on important matters within their home state. “[Wisner Baum] possesses a David v. Goliath-sized slingshot while seeking justice for everyday citizens it believes were harmed or killed through corporate wrongdoing.”
NLJ and American Lawyer Media honor law firms and attorneys as Elite Trial Lawyers for their cutting-edge legal work on behalf of plaintiffs in practice areas ranging from mass torts to securities litigation.
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. A listing in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, conferred on a lawyer by his or her peers.
Less than one-half of one percent of firms across the nation have achieved this ranking. A firm must have a high percentage of lawyers who have achieved the prestigious AV® Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell®.
The National Law Journal inducted Wisner Baum into the Verdicts Hall of Fame for obtaining the $2 billion landmark verdict in the Roundup cancer case of Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto. The verdict was #1 in California and #2 in the U.S. in 2019 and is #9 in American history.
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 recognized the law firms of Wisner Baum, the Miller Firm and Audet & Partners with the 2019 Trial Team of the Year award (in the Mass Torts category) for their work in the groundbreaking case of Dewayne “Lee” Johnson v. Monsanto Company.
An AV® rating reflects an attorney who has reached the heights of professional excellence. The rating signifies the highest legal ability, and very high adherence to professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability, and diligence.
Wisner Baum is proud to have all of its lawyers listed in Avvo, a legal directory connecting people in need of legal services with lawyers and connecting lawyers to lawyers. Eight of our attorneys have earned a 10.0 perfect rating with Avvo.
CA and USA
TopVerdict.com ranks our $2 billion verdict in Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto as the biggest verdict in California and the second largest verdict in the U.S. in 2019. It is the ninth largest verdict in U.S. history.
Published annually, the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers list recognizes the “best of the best” in this area of the law through nominations, research, and review by a board of their peers.
In 2020, Law360 honored the law firms ”behind the litigation wins and major deals that resonated throughout the legal industry.” It recognized our success in several landmark cases.
In 2018, our $289 million Johnson v. Monsanto verdict was the largest personal injury verdict in California. TopVerdict.com also ranked it #2 among all verdicts in California and #10 in the nation.
The Bar Register is the definitive guide to the most distinguished law firms in America. It includes only those select law practices that have earned the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and have been designated by their colleagues as preeminent in their field.
Firm ReviewsWhat Our Clients Are Saying
I Can’t Imagine a Better Law Firm- Best Law Firms Survey
They Are About Changing the Systems...- Kim Witczak
Top Legal Minds in the Country- From Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms
Diligent & Professional Representation- W.T.
Our Best Interest Was Always Number One on Your List- G.C. & C.C