Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Although buses and public transportation are often hailed as safer than cars, thousands of people are still injured in bus accidents — and hundreds are killed — every single year in the United States, according to a study from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI). With many people using buses as their primary form of transportation, especially school-aged students, bus accidents pose a huge risk to our communities. Fortunately, if you or a family member sustained injuries in a bus crash, our Los Angeles lawyers can help.
We have handled accident claims concerning the following types of buses:
- Casino buses
- City buses
- Charter buses
- School buses
- Tour buses
In fact, we have taken on some of the largest bus manufacturers and operators in the nation, such as Ford Motor Company, Greyhound, and Blue Bird Corporation. In complex litigation against major bus companies and their insurers, you need an experienced accident lawyer who will be able to demonstrate that a crash caused a victim’s injuries, and that the crash was caused by negligence or other issues.
Common examples of negligence resulting in bus accidents include:
- Texting or eating and driving, or other forms of distracted driving
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Transporting too many passengers
- Driving an improperly/poorly maintained bus
- Speeding or other forms of reckless driving
Why Hire a Bus Crash Attorney?
After being involved in an accident, some may feel they can handle their injury claim on their own. Unfortunately, the insurance companies that represent bus operators and manufacturers do not have your best interest at heart. In fact, they are often more than willing to minimize your claim by adding on many deductions — in some cases, they may entirely deny your claim. Add in government bodies in charge of city buses or school districts responsible for school buses and you have a complicated, highly complex case on your hands.
A bus crash attorney with the right skill set to advocate on your behalf will help level the playing field and ensure that you receive the compensation you may be entitled to. Retaining an experienced lawyer will also allow you to focus on recovering physically and mentally from the accident instead of having to repeatedly discuss and relive what for many crash victims is a harrowing and traumatic experience.
How to Choose a Los Angeles Accident Lawyer for Your Claim
In choosing a lawyer, it is vital to give the decision proper consideration, as you are putting your recovery in their hands.
A few categories to consider include the following:
- Reputation/peer reviews and testimonials: An ideal attorney will have a good reputation, even in the eyes of the opposition. For instance, Wisner Baum is well-respected by peers on both sides of the courtroom.
- Track record of success: As mentioned, past successes should not be taken as a guarantee, but they do speak to the prowess of the legal team that achieved them. To date, our firm has won billions of dollars in compensatory damages for our clients.
- Areas of practice: Since a bus accident may have many nuances, especially for cases concerning defective bus design and manufacturing, hiring an attorney with extensive experience in practice areas related to your claim is of the utmost importance. The Los Angeles personal injury attorneys at Wisner Baum have decades of experience handling bus accident lawsuits, trucking claims, and many other related practice areas.
Hire a Trusted Legal Adviser
After an accident, you are legally entitled to pursue a personal injury or wrongful death claim for the harm done to you. The Los Angeles lawyers at Wisner Baum are respected leaders in a wide variety of practice areas, including bus accident litigation. Renowned by The Best Lawyers in America©, Super Lawyers®, and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, among many others, we know what it takes to win your case.
Call (855) 948-5098 today to speak to a Los Angeles bus accident attorney.