Commercial Airline Crashes Case History
At Baum, Hedlund, Aristei & Goldman, our aviation attorneys have extensive experience litigating commercial airline accident claims, including performing a thorough investigation and and identifying defendants and liable parties responsible for the crash in order to recover just compensation for victims and their families. Our firm has successfully litigated cases against every major airline in the United States that has been involved in a plane crash since 1985, as well as a significant number of international airlines. We believe our track record of handling major airline crash lawsuits over our many decades of practice speaks for itself. The list below contains examples of our commercial airline crashes case history.
Our Commercial Airline Crash Cases
- Sriwijaya Air Flight 182, Boeing 737, Java Sea, Indonesia, 2021
- Delta Airlines Flight 89, Boeing 777, Fuel Dump over Cudahy, California, 2020
- JetBlue Flight 2276 Inflight Engine Explosion, Airbus A320, from San Juan Puerto Rico to Connecticut, 2020
- Ethiopian Airlines Flight ET 302 crash, Boeing 737 Max 8, near Bishoftu, Ethiopia, 2019
- Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 inflight emergency, Boeing 737-7H4, Queens, New York to Dallas, Texas, 2018
- Germanwings Flight 9525 crash, Airbus A320-211, French Alps, 2015
- JetBlue Flight 1416 inflight emergency, Airbus A320, Long Beach, California to Austin, Texas, 2014
- Asiana Airlines Flight OZ214 runway crash, Boeing 777, San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, California, 2013
- Southwest Airlines Flight 812 inflight fuselage skin peel, Boeing 737, over Yuma, Arizona, 2011
- JetBlue Flight 262 hard landing, Airbus A320, Sacramento International Airport, Sacramento, California, 2010
- United Airlines Flight 967 inflight turbulence, Boeing 777-200, from Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles, 2010
- American Airlines Flight 331 runway accident, Boeing 737-800, Norman Manley International Airport, Kingston, Jamaica, 2009
- Continental Connection Flight 3407/Colgan Air, Bombardier Dash-8 Q400, Clarence Center, New York, 2009
- Continental Airlines Flight 1404 runway accident, Boeing 737-524, Denver International Airport, Denver, Colorado, 2008
- TACA Airlines Flight 390 runway accident, Airbus 320, Toncontin International Airport, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, 2008
- United Airlines Flight 1028 dive, McDonnell Douglas DC10, over Nevada, 2008
- Comair Flight 5191 runway crash, Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet 100ER, Blue Grass Airport, Lexington, Kentucky, 2006
- Southwest Airlines Flight 1248 runway accident, Boeing 737-7H4, Midway International Airport, Chicago, Illinois, 2005
- Air Midwest Flight 5481 crash (US Airways Express), Beechcraft 1900D, Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, North Carolina, 2003
- American Airlines Flight 587 crash, Airbus A300, Belle Harbor (Queens), New York, 2001
- American Airlines Flight 11 hijacking and crash, Boeing 767, into the World Trade Center, New York, 2001
- United Airlines Flight 175 hijacking and crash, Boeing 767-222, into the World Trade Center, New York, 2001
- American Airlines Flight 77 hijacking and crash, Boeing 757-223, into the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia, 2001
- United Airlines Flight 93 hijacking and crash, Boeing 757-222, near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, 2001
- Scandinavian Airlines Flight 686 – SAS (previously Scandinavian Airlines Systems) collision, McDonnell Douglas MD-87 and Cessna Citation CJ2, Milan, Italy, 2001
- Singapore Airlines Flight SQ006 runway crash, Boeing 747-400, Chiang Kai-shek International Airport (now Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport), Taipei, Taiwan, 2000
- Southwest Airlines Flight 1455 runway accident, Boeing 737, Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport, Burbank, California, 2000
- Alaska Airlines Flight 261 crash, McDonnell Douglas MD-83, Pacific Ocean, near Pt. Mugu, California, 2000
- EgyptAir Flight 990 crash, Boeing 767, Atlantic Ocean, near Nantucket Island, Massachusetts, 1999
- American Airlines Flight 1420 runway crash, McDonnell Douglas MD-82, Little Rock National Airport, Little Rock, Arkansas, 1999
- Swissair Flight 111 accident, McDonnell Douglas MD-11, near Peggy’s Cove, Nova Scotia, 1998
- Continental Flight 75 inflight mishap, McDonnell Douglas DC-1010, Los Angeles to Hawaii, 1998
- United Airlines Flight 81 inflight mishap, Boeing 767, LaGuardia to LAX, 1998
- Korean Air Lines Flight 801 accident, Boeing 747-300, Agana, Guam, 1997
- Airborne Express test flight accident, DC-8-63, near Narrows, Virginia, 1996
- United Express Flight 5925 and Beechcraft King Air A90 runway incursion, Quincy Regional Airport, Quincy, Illinois, 1996
- TWA Flight 800 explosion, Boeing 747-131, near East Moriches, New York, 1996
- ValuJet Airlines Flight 592 disaster, McDonnell Douglas DC9-32, near Miami, Florida, 1996
- American Airlines Flight 965 accident, Boeing 757, near Cali, Colombia, 1995
- Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight 529 accident, Embraer EMB 120, near Carrollton, Georgia, 1995
- USAir Flight 427 crash, Boeing 737-3B7, near Aliquippa, Pennsylvania, 1994
- USAir Flight 1016 crash, McDonnell Douglas DC-9, Charlotte, North Carolina, 1994
- Northwest Airlink Flight 5719 crash (Express Airlines II), Jetstream 31, Hibbing, Minnesota, 1993
- China Eastern Airlines Flight 583 accidental flap/slat deployment, McDonnell Douglas MD-11, Shanghai to Los Angeles, 1993
- Continental Airlines Flight 588 runway accident, McDonnell Douglas DC-9-82, Stapleton International Airport, Denver, Colorado, 1993
- Mesa Airlines commercial training flight accident, Bellanca 7GCBC, Telluride, Colorado, 1993
- TACA Airlines Flight 510 runway accident, Boeing 767-2S1ER, La Aurora International Airport Guatemala, 1993
- Adventure Airlines accident, Cessna 402, Grand Canyon, Arizona, 1992
- TWA Flight 843 aborted takeoff runway crash, Lockheed L-1011, John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York, 1992
- USAir Flight 405 runway crash, Fokker F-28, LaGuardia Airport, Flushing Bay, New York, 1992
- USAir Flight 305 rough landing at Elmira Corning Regional Airport, DC-9-30 crash, Horseheads, New York, 1992
- CommutAir Airlines Flight 4821 crash (USAir Express), Raytheon Beech 1900C, Saranac Lake, NY, 1992
- Delta Airlines inflight emergency, McDonnell Douglas MD-88, Tampa to Los Angeles, 1992
- United Airlines Flight 852 inflight turbulence, Boeing 747-100, Japan to San Francisco, 1992
- USAir inflight emergency, Boeing 737-300, Los Angeles to Florida, 1991
- United Airlines Flight 585 crash, Boeing 737-200, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 1991
- Tropic Air Flight 80 crash, Cessna 402B, Belize, 1991
- USAir Flight 1493 Boeing 737-3B7 and SkyWest Airlines Flight 5569 Fairchild Swearingen Metroliner runway collision, Los Angeles International Airport, Los Angeles, California, 1991
- Aeroperlas Air Flight 451 crash, De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter, Panama City, Panama, 1990
- Northwest Airlines Flight 1482, DC-9-14, and Northwest Airlines Flight 299, Boeing 727, runway collision, Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, Romulus, Michigan, 1990
- United Airlines Flight 232 crash landing, DC-10, Sioux Gateway Airport, Sioux City, Iowa, 1989
- Grand Canyon Airlines Flight 5 tour accident, de Havilland Canada DHC-6-300, Phoenix, Arizona, 1989
- Continental Express Flight 2286 crash, Fairchild Metro lll, Durango, Colorado, 1988
- Delta Airlines Flight 1141 runway crash, Boeing 727-232, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Dallas, Texas, 1988
- Northwest Airlines Flight 255 crash, DC-9-82, Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, Romulus, Michigan, 1987
- Cerritos mid-air collision between Aeromexico Flight 498 and Piper PA 28-181, Cerritos, California, 1986*
- Arrow Air Flight 1285 (101st Airborne Division) accident, DC-8-63CF, Gander, Newfoundland, 1985
- Comair Flight 444, Piper Navajo, Covington, Kentucky, 1979*
- Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 182, Boeing 727-214, and Cessna 172 mid-air collision, San Diego, California, 1978*
- British European Airways Flight 548, Hawker Siddeley Trident 1C, near Staines, England, 1972*
Let Us Put Our Experience to Work for You. Contact Our Attorneys Today.
If an airline crash has had a serious impact on your family, contact us online or call (855) 948-5098. Our lawyers handle both domestic and international cases.
A Major US Plane Crash $17.5 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained a $17.5 million settlement on behalf of a client who was killed in a major U.S. plane crash.
A Major US Plane Crash $14 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained a $14 million settlement for the death of a passenger in a major US plane crash.
Helicopter Crash $12 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum secured a $12 million settlement for a passenger who was injured in a helicopter crash.
A Major Foreign Plane Crash $10 Million Settlement
Wisner Baum obtained a $10 million settlement for the death of a passenger in a major foreign plane crash.
A ranking in The U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” is widely regarded by both client and legal professionals as a significant honor. It is considered the most reliable, unbiased source of legal referrals anywhere.
Wisner Baum is proud to be a sponsor of The Truck Safety Coalition, a a group of caring individuals dedicated to reducing the number of deaths and injuries caused by truck-related crashes. Our support enables them to help families and save lives.
Law360 recognizes law firms that have a strong regional presence, working on important matters within their home state. “[Wisner Baum] possesses a David v. Goliath-sized slingshot while seeking justice for everyday citizens it believes were harmed or killed through corporate wrongdoing.”
NLJ and American Lawyer Media honor law firms and attorneys as Elite Trial Lawyers for their cutting-edge legal work on behalf of plaintiffs in practice areas ranging from mass torts to securities litigation.
Best Lawyers is the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. A listing in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, conferred on a lawyer by his or her peers.
Less than one-half of one percent of firms across the nation have achieved this ranking. A firm must have a high percentage of lawyers who have achieved the prestigious AV® Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell®.
The National Law Journal inducted Wisner Baum into the Verdicts Hall of Fame for obtaining the $2 billion landmark verdict in the Roundup cancer case of Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto. The verdict was #1 in California and #2 in the U.S. in 2019 and is #9 in American history.
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 recognized the law firms of Wisner Baum, the Miller Firm and Audet & Partners with the 2019 Trial Team of the Year award (in the Mass Torts category) for their work in the groundbreaking case of Dewayne “Lee” Johnson v. Monsanto Company.
An AV® rating reflects an attorney who has reached the heights of professional excellence. The rating signifies the highest legal ability, and very high adherence to professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability, and diligence.
Wisner Baum is proud to have all of its lawyers listed in Avvo, a legal directory connecting people in need of legal services with lawyers and connecting lawyers to lawyers. Eight of our attorneys have earned a 10.0 perfect rating with Avvo.
CA and USA
TopVerdict.com ranks our $2 billion verdict in Pilliod et al. v. Monsanto as the biggest verdict in California and the second largest verdict in the U.S. in 2019. It is the ninth largest verdict in U.S. history.
Published annually, the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers list recognizes the “best of the best” in this area of the law through nominations, research, and review by a board of their peers.
In 2020, Law360 honored the law firms ”behind the litigation wins and major deals that resonated throughout the legal industry.” It recognized our success in several landmark cases.
In 2018, our $289 million Johnson v. Monsanto verdict was the largest personal injury verdict in California. TopVerdict.com also ranked it #2 among all verdicts in California and #10 in the nation.
The Bar Register is the definitive guide to the most distinguished law firms in America. It includes only those select law practices that have earned the highest rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory and have been designated by their colleagues as preeminent in their field.
Firm ReviewsWhat Our Clients Are Saying
I Can’t Imagine a Better Law Firm- Best Law Firms Survey
They Are About Changing the Systems...- Kim Witczak
Top Legal Minds in the Country- From Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms
Diligent & Professional Representation- W.T.
Our Best Interest Was Always Number One on Your List- G.C. & C.C